1) The primary method professors use to evaluate their student's ability to absorb and synthesize content is for the students to write papers that demonstrate their understanding of various research topics, concepts, and frameworks. Doctoral level writing is distinct from other forms of communication you may have encountered. This shift in process and style helps learners to develop a doctoral identity that will foster productive relationships with faculty and committee members and, ultimately, contribute to a completed dissertation.
• Question: Discuss how writing process and style help form a doctoral identity. What specific strategies and resources can you use to improve your academic writing?
2) A prepared student is a successful student. Usually, it starts with time management, organization, and dedication to the writing process, but also includes the successful execution of format and style. Applying APA style and formatting is the last step in the writing process, but is seems to be a source of great stress and anxiety for learners. APA style is not the research but rather the documentation of the research.
• Question: What is the purpose of a style guide in scholarly communication? How can APA style enhance your communication with readers? What specific strategies and resources can you use to improve your skill in using APA style?
(1) Question: Discuss how writing process and style help form a doctoral identity. What specific strategies and resources can you use to improve your academic writing?
(a) Discuss how writing process and style help form a doctoral identity.
Research suggests the need for a writing style and process that will make the student a better, professional, educator and/or teacher. For instance, according to Rose & McClaffery (2001), the interaction of grammar, style, logic and voice are all mechanical and grammatical rules that will help the practitioner as a writer in his or her profession.For example, doctoral students must be able to conduct research, gather and interpret various forms of data in which good writing skills are needed. As Rose and McClafferty point out, "Writing becomes a means to articulate thought and test it" (p. 29). Moreover writing is central to inquiry when conducting research. Thus, researchers view writing as a method that must be included in the training of a scholar or practitioner. The professional psychologist as noted by McClintock (2007) is also the ...
This solution discusses the writing style needed for doctoral students to be an effective professional practitioner.