There have been differing ways presented in which psychology defines abnormal. Discuss the view that matches most closely (statistical) by answering the following questions:
- Why did you choose this view?
- What are the pros and cons to your view?
- Is normal healthy? For example, in this country it has become normal to be overweight, which we can all agree is unhealthy.
- Do you believe it makes sense to use the term abnormal when dealing with mental health issues? Why or why not?
- Does the use of this term indicate bias?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com March 21, 2019, 11:05 pm ad1c9bdddf
I chose the maladaptive psychological perspective in defining what is abnormal, due to the fact that this definition describes behavior that an individual engages in, that is obviously counterproductive to an individual's overall progress, productivity, and or well-being. It appears that this definition would be the most accurate in subjectively defining a psychological abnormality, due to the fact that it is naturally abnormal for an individual organism to ...
This solution uses the maladaptive psychological perspective to discuss how abnormality is defined. Determining how something is considered healthy is also discussed, along with whether it makes sense or there is any bias in using the term abnormal in mental health. 289 words.