Role of Theory
Two weeks of this course are devoted to theory as it tends to be a topic that requires additional time to understand. This week, you began your understanding of theory. Understanding the role of theory in research is the goal for this Discussion.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Chapter 3 in the course text, Research Design. Examine the ways in which theory is used for quantitative, qualitative, and mixed studies. Why isn't theory used the same way for all research?
- Review the "Theory" media segment.
- Analyze the role of theory in research. Does it serve to connect components of the study? Is it a basis for selecting a research approach?
With these thoughts in mind:
- Post by Day 3 a 2- to 3-paragraph analysis of the role of theory in research.
- Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the reading(s) and/or media segment(s) and use APA format.
- Read a selection of your colleagues' postings.
Respond by Day 5 to at least two of your colleagues' postings in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague's posting.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Validate an idea with your own experience.
- Make a suggestion.
- Expand on your colleague's posting.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned and/or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com August 20, 2018, 2:17 pm ad1c9bdddf
Below is how you would reference your video segment. I am guessing the transcips you sent me are from the video.
Laureate Education, Inc(Producer). (n.d.). Doctoral Research: Interviewing techniques, Part 2 [Video]. Baltimore,
Below is how you reference your text book.
Bogdan, R.C. & Biklen, S. K. (2007). Qualitative research for education: An introduction to theories and methods. Boston, MA: Allen & Bacon
Also, you can easily copy and paste how to quote and cite information from others posts and the information on the syllabus resources page.
Step 1- Define theory
According to Dr. Michael Patton, theory can be defined as means of explaining why something functions the way it does. Furthermore, theories are used in all fields and create a means of common knowledge for working with research studies. Theories can be ...
The role of theory and their goals are determined.