Explore BrainMass
Share

Statistical Analysis in Business

This content was STOLEN from BrainMass.com - View the original, and get the already-completed solution here!

1-2. Explain the principles of statistical thinking. Why is statistical thinking an important managerial skill?
1-10.Explain the differences between categorical, ordinal, interval, and ratio data.
1-11. Explain the difference between cross-sectional and time-series data.
1-12. What is the difference between a population and a sample?
2-3. Explain the principal types of descriptive statistics measures that are used for describing data.
2-5. What statistical measures are used for describing dispersion in data? How do they differ from one another?
2-6. Explain the importance of the standard deviation in interpreting and drawing conclusions about risk.
2-12. Explain the concept of correlation and how to interpret correlation coefficients of 0.3, 0, and -0.95.

© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 7:19 am ad1c9bdddf
https://brainmass.com/physics/statistical-mechanics/statistical-analysis-business-499255

Solution Preview

See attached file for solution.

To understand this question, we first need to have information on each of the subjects covered:
1-2
Statistical Thinking is the process of using statistics when making business decisions. What this looks like in a company is a manager has the ability to choose a project that has a 70% chance of making a profit instead of a project that has only a 30% chance of making the same profit. This is important for the firm to use all available data when making decisions to maximize profitability.
1-10
Categorical Data can be organized into "categories" based on an observable trait. Examples would be male/female, eye color, political party or any other characteristic.
Ordinal Data contains values that can be counted and ranked into a certain order. For example, runners position in a race, number of years in school or some other characteristic that can be counted.
Interval Data is measured along a scale with an equivalent measurement. This allows comparison between two pairs. Examples would be temperature or rating something on a scale of 1-10.
Ratio Data has numbers that can be compared to one another. An example of ...

Solution Summary

Statistical analysis in business are examined. The principles of statistical thinking are determined.

$2.19
See Also This Related BrainMass Solution

Fortune 500 Research

Hello: I am looking for your guidance with the following:

. Fortune 500 Research Outline
pick a fortune 500 company and prepare a one-to-two page detailed outline. In your outline be sure to include information on the following topics:
1. What forecasting technique(s) does this company use?
2. How does your selected organization prepare budgets?
3. What MRP concepts do you see with regard to your organization?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planning and controlling the supply chain
a. Utilize your outline,as a basis:
b. Prepare a 1,400-1,750-word paper in which you:
1) Differentiate at least two-to-three key elements for each of the four primary forecasting techniques and how they apply to your chosen organization.
2) Analyze the impact of production plans, master production schedules, rough cut capacity planning, workforce size, and carrying inventory as they relate to budgets for your chosen organization.
3) Depending on whether the organization you selected is a manufacturing or service organization, compare and contrast how MRP usage would be different for this organization and one of the opposite type of organization.
4) Compare and contrast the use of Material Requirements Planning (MRP) system concepts for your chosen organization.
Site all references used for the paper.

Thank you in advance.

View Full Posting Details