2. Explain the difference between charging by induction and charging by contact. Include details of how the charging occurs.
3. If two equal charges are separated by a certain distance, the force of repulsion is F. Given F1, if each charge in F1 is doubled and the distance is cut in half, what is the new value of the force of repulsion, F2? Express your answer in terms of F1.
5. What is an electric field? How do you determine the magnitude and direction of the field at a given point?
6. Two point charges are separated by 6 cm. The attractive force between them is 20 N. Find the force between them when they are separated by 12 cm. (Why can you solve this problem without knowing the magnitudes of the charges?)
7. Explain the difference between electrical potential and electrical potential energy.
9. A droplet of ink in an industrial ink-jet printer carries a charge of 1.6 x 10-11 coulombs and is deflected onto paper by a force of 3.2 x 10-4 Newton's. Find the strength of the electric field to produce this force.
10. Cite the three major differences between gravitational and electrical forces.
Step by step solutions to all the problems are provided.