1. A fisherman catches two striped bass. The smaller of the two has a measured length of 93.46 cm(two decimal places, four significant figures), and the larger fish has a measured length of 135.3cm (one decimal place, four significant figures). What is the total length of fish caught for the day?
2. How many significant figures are there in (a) 78.9 + 0.2, (b) 3.788 X 10^9, (c) 2.46 X 10^-6, (d) 0.003^2.
3. The radius of a circle is measured to be (10.5 + 0.2) m. Calculate (a) the area and (b) the circumference of the circle, and give the uncertainty in each value.
4. Carry out the following arithmetic operations: (a) the sum of the measured of the values 756, 37.2, 0.83, and 2.5; (b) the product 0.003^2 X 356.3; (c) the product 5.620 X Pie
5. A fathom is a unit of length, usually reserved for measuring the depth of water. A fathom is approximately 6 ft in length. Take the distance from Earth to the Moon to be 250 000 miles, and use the given approximation to find the distance to fathoms.
7. A house is 50.0 ft long and 26 ft wide and has 8.0-ft-high ceilings. What is the volume of the interior of the house in cubic meters and in cubic meters and in cubic centimeters?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com September 24, 2018, 9:07 pm ad1c9bdddf - https://brainmass.com/physics/atoms-molecules/significant-figures-and-conversion-of-units-269298
This solution is comprised of detailed explanation and step-by-step calculation of the given problems and provides students with a clear perspective of the underlying concepts.