I would appreciate your help in helping me with this. Thanks.
Rachel, a female, is 5'2", weighs 110 pounds, and is in good health. She wants to be a firefighter with the Middlebury Fire Department. In response to an ad in the local newspaper, Rachel submitted an application for a firefighter position with the Middlebury Fire Department, but her application was rejected by the Fire Department because she did not meet the Fire Department's minimum physical standards that require applicants to be at least 5'4' and weigh at least 120 pounds. Was the Fire Department's rejection of Rachel's application proper? How might the Middlebury Fire Department modify its standards to avoid this issue?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 10:04 am ad1c9bdddf
Was the Fire Department's rejection of Rachel's application proper? How might the Middlebury Fire Department modify its standards to avoid this issue?
Yes it was proper, but the fire department must show that the height and weight requirements are job related in order to continue using them as a reason not to hire. ...
200+ words investigate the situation of a woman too short and light to meet the firefighter requirements being rejected in order to determine if this is fair or discrimination.
BFOQ and protected classes
Utilize this as a practical discussion of the concept of BFOQ.
1) does it discriminate against a protected class
2) which protected class(es)
3) what type of discrimination (disparate impact or disparate treatment)
4) is the requirement a BFOQ
1) Experienced firefighters needed. Must be able to lift and carry 80 pounds. (Example: 1) Discriminates, 2) probably gender and disability, 3) disparate impact, 4) probably a BFOQ because of the need to carry someone out of a burning building)
2) Immediate opening for attractive female receptionist with experience handling multi-line phone system
3) Defense contractor seeking qualified engineers. Must be a U.S. citizen.
4) Apprentice electrician needed. Must be under age 25. Will train.
5) Catholic High School needs Catholic math teacher to teach algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Master's degree preferred
6) Flight attendants needed for overseas routes. Must meet height and weight restrictions
7) Now hiring experienced manufacturing assemblers for second shift. High school diploma required.
8) City theater production company needs men to star in Laurel and Hardy comedy. Some acting experience preferred.