A international human resource management article is attached and I need to critique it.
- Begin with an introduction that defines the subject of your critique and your point of view. You will first need to identify and explain the author's ideas. Include specific passages that support your description of the author's point of view.
- Defend your point of view by raising specific issues or aspects of the argument. Offer your own opinion. Explain what you think about the argument. Describe several points with which you agree or disagree.
- Explain how the passages support your opinion.
- Conclude your critique by summarizing your argument and re-emphasizing your opinion.
- For each of the points you mention, include specific passages from the text (you may summarize, quote, or paraphrase) that provide evidence for your point of view.
Defines subject and your point of view:
The subject is that stereotypes are used to discriminate against applicants in the employment selection process, specifically during the interview. The article holds that physical and social characteristics prevent people from getting employment. The author holds that stereotypes such as race, gender, age, height and weight are used to judge applicants instead of their skills, knowledge, and abilities to do their job. According to the author employers deliberately use personal interviews so that selectors could use subjective criteria for selecting employees.
'Employers have retreated from tests because of the idea that interviews were not subjected to the same firm standards as tests. They thought that because interviews were subjective, it was not flexible to scientific scrutiny and they only had to refrain from discriminatory questions to avoid discrimination lawsuits. For this reason, many employers used unstructured and non-scored interviews to avoid having to validate them in the case of an adverse effect on minority or female applicants.' (Cates. S, & Dana, H, 2012).
My view point is that interviews do not judge applicants based on their race, gender, age, height and weight. Interviews are conducted of applicants whose resumes have been selected because the applicants' resume meets the requirements of the position. The selection of the resume is based on the skills, ...
The response provides you a structured explanation of Discrimination Article. It also gives you the relevant references.