If you had to select one, which of the following is the most important step in processing evidence?
Besides simply being exhibited for the court to ensure a criminal conviction, how else do you think physical evidence can be used to assist criminal justice professionals? Explain and be specific. Please include references cited in APA format.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 10:05 am ad1c9bdddf
I think that evidence does play a crucial role in every criminal investigation, due to the fact that evidence forms the basis from which a criminal case is developed. In addition, evidence helps to validate the criminal investigation that is taking place, and the more evidence that is collected the more reinforcement for the ongoing criminal investigation process. The primary roles of evidence in criminal investigations includes forming the foundation that warrants the initial ...
Types of Evidence at a Crime Scene Investigation
There are numerous examples of physical and trace evidence, and although general crime scene procedures will be the same, the type of evidence will determine the specific collection procedure. Below is a list of many types of evidence that may be found at a crime scene.
- Petroleum products
- Powder residues
- Serial numbers
- Soils and minerals
- Tool marks
- Vehicles and lights
- Woods and vegetative materials
Address the following:
- Select 5 - 7 of the above types of physical evidence, and explain processes involved with the identification, collection, and preservation of each type.
- Answer the following questions for each of your selections: ◦How is it identified? Explain. What class characteristics might you find associated with the selected type of evidence?
- How difficult is the type of evidence to identify? Explain.
- What is the process for removing and collecting the evidence? Explain in detail. Your analysis must reference specific tests, histological staining, microscopes, and other equipment or techniques that should be used.
- What tools are necessary to collect the evidence? Describe.
- What challenges exist regarding the collection of the evidence? Explain.
- How is the evidence stored and preserved? Explain. How difficult is it to store and preserve the evidence? Explain.
- How might the evidence become contaminated and therefore inadmissible in court? Explain.
Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.View Full Posting Details