It appears as though the number of incidents of violence in the
workplace has increased over the past several years, what is your opinion on
the reason for the increase? What can be done to prevent violence in the
workplace? Do you think companies do enough to protect their employee?
This is an opinion question, which I cannot answer.
However, I can point out topics you can discuss when coming up with a thesis.
1. An employer has a duty to provide a safe working environment.
"Violence in the workplace is a serious safety and health issue. Its most extreme form, homicide, is the third-leading cause of fatal occupational injury in the United States. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries (CFOI), there were 551 workplace homicides in 2004 in the United States, out of a total of 5,703 fatal work injuries."
How is this duty defined? It of course depends on the circumstances (an accounting firm would be different than a construction site).
With regards, to workplace violence, the Federal government has set out some guidlines through the office of Occupational Safety& Health Administration. See http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/workplaceviolence/standards.html
While not controlling law, it is possible that a jurisdiction may recognize them as such (under neglligence per se) or nonethless as a proper standard under common law.
Your state jurisdiction may similar standards.
Likewise, OSHA has a number of preventive measures they recommend: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/workplaceviolence/evaluation.html
DEALING WITH PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS OR CONFLICTS
1. Intervene promptly; don't let the situation fester. (Take ...
Violence in the workplace is depicted in several examples.
Workplace Stress and Violence
Reports of violence in the workplace and stress-related injury or illness have become nearly commonplace in recent years. In this assignment, not only you will analyze factors that contribute to stress and violence in the workplace, but you will also analyze the legal and ethical obligations of employers to mitigate stress and violence in the workplace.
A paper of 1,250-1,500 words analyzes factors contributing to workplace stress and violence. Include the following in your analysis:
• A description of factors contributing to employee stress in the workplace
• A description of factors contributing to violence in the workplace
• A description of the legal and ethical obligations of employers to mitigate stress and violence in the workplace.
• A thorough and insightful description of factors contributing to employee stress is presented.
• A thorough and insightful description of factors contributing to workplace violence is presented.
• A thorough and insightful description of the legal and ethical obligations of employers is presented.