What were the major influences of organizational forms for Republican and Imperial Rome?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 9, 2019, 9:08 pm ad1c9bdddf
1. What were the major influences to organizational forms for Republican and Imperial Rome?
One approach to help you get started on this project, is to provide you with an outline of the major events and influences leading to the organizational forms for Republican and Imperial Rome. This is the approach this response takes. I also included information on the fall of the Republic for continuity. It should be fairly easy to take it to the next step and write your final copy.
There were some specific influences that resulted in Republican and Imperial Rome (political and legal systems, leaders, expansion, wars, to name a few).
Some influences include:
(1) Rome's great achievements, which lead to becoming a world state
(2) Political & legal universalism
(a) This was in contrast to Greek limitations of city-state mentality
(b) Roman citizenship throughout Empire
(c) Empire wide system of law & citizenship
(3) Expansion from the prehistoric Italy & Ancient Rome's Geography - from Tiber River to adjoining more advanced civilization both to the South and to North
E.g. The Etruscans in the 7th & 6th century expanded south and made contributions to Roman culture:
§ Religion, trade, engineer skills, Greek alphabet,
§ Client-Patron, Military formations, Monarchial rule
(4) Last of Etruscan Kings in Rome - influential in the emergence of a new organizational form
§ Rome ejects Etruscans late 6th century BC which influenced a different type of organizational form to emerge e.g., Republic and Imperialism.
Royal Rome moving towards Republican and Imperialism:
(5) The Government played a large part in the transition.
§ Roman kings & imperium
§ Role of Senate - true authority & power in practice
§ Role of curiate assembly - Group voting
§ Family & Father's role & power
§ Patron's role & responsibilities?
§ Client's role & responsibilities?
B. Patricians vs. Plebeians
§ Political & $$$ power & influence
· Closed caste of wealth, power, & privilege
§ Poor, dependent small farmers & artisans
· Clients of Noble Patron classes
§ Holding the line => friction & future pressure for change
Thus, these above events and influences lead to the Republic's early organization form/phase.
Republic's early phase and major influences:
(1) Role of religion in Rome's government e.g. had an influence over time
. Church involved in Politics & law
(2) Constitutional system evolved
§ Unwritten accumulation of laws & customs
§ Government structure: checks & balances
· 2 Consuls with imperium
¨ 1 year terms => Senate for life
¨ Assistance: Quaestors & $$$
· Special circumstances:
¨ Dictator - six months
¨ Pro-consul - long military campaigns
¨ Praetors - judicial authority
· Censors - as power & prestige grew - career's top goal
¨ Comprised of influential patricians & clan leaders
¨ Power increased with end of monarchy
· Centuriate Assemble
¨ Rome's army acting in political role
¨ Basic combat ...
This job outlines the major influences of organizational forms for Republican and Imperial Rome.