1) What are Heathcliff's main character traits and how are they evident throughout the novel? How do they change?
2) What personality/character trait changes does Heathcliff go through throughout the novel?
3) What effect do other characters have on Heathcliff and the changes his personality undergoes?
Please rate 5/5 for my 1200 words of notes and ideas. Thanks for using BrainMass.com! Please visit us again soon! I am honored to complete Special Requests for you.
1) As you assess Heathcliff's main character traits and how are they evident throughout the novel, Heathcliff's complex traits, for me, drive the plot of this text. He is also great case study for psychological analysis because of his constant changes. Heathcliff's abusive childhood experiences seem to propel his deviant motivation for revenge later in life. His innocence before his evil transformation is evident as Heathcliff "does not know what being in love is" (81). This quote shows his initial purity of mind, intention, and soul.
When you look at real life cases of abuse or bullying and how victims often become the victimizers, he exemplifies this logic so clearly. His mistreatment by Hindley seems to scar him and mold his changes from innocent to evil.
In sum, I classify him as driven, cruel, frustrated, devious, delusional, victimized, sadistic, confused, obsessive, vengeful, cunning, spiteful, abusive, etc.
2) As you discuss what personality/character trait changes does Heathcliff go through throughout the novel, he is a constant chameleon! Despite Heathcliff's initial sweetness and sensibility as a child, after Mr. Earnshaw's death, it seems to ignite his initial change to evil and cunning. After Hindley's diabolical treatment of him, it also seems to denote his transformation as well.
I also feel like Heathcliff's emotional changes sometimes seem to reflect his fluctuating socioeconomic status as well. After Mr. Earnshaw's funeral when he is forced to serve as a stable hand and laborer, he seems to become more socially isolated and resentful.
After the death of Hindley's wife, Hindley's drinking causes more abuse upon Heathcliff even more intensely.
Catherine's link with Heathcliff as ...
Wuthering Heights is explicated in terms of Heathcliff's character are examined. The personality and character trait changes Heathcliff goes throughout a novel is given.