Specific Purpose: To persuade my audience to take action against animal cruelty and start by signing the petition of exposing animal abusers.
Central Idea: Today I will persuade my audience to start taking action against animal cruelty by signing the petition of exposing animal abusers in our State of New York.
I. How many animals each year become physically abused in the United States?
A. Do you know how many animals become abused in our State?
B. Do you even know what the maximum penalty for animal abusers is?
C. Do you know that we could start doing something against animal abuse that would only take about 3 to 5 minutes?
II. Good evening, my name is Gabi Romero and I will be persuading you to start taking action against animal cruelty by signing the petition of exposing animal abusers in our State of New York
III. I will be persuading you to start taking action against animal cruelty and start by signing the petition to expose animal abusers in our State of New York
(Connective: Now let's start with a history of animal abuse in this country)
I. We do not realize the immense damage we are causing to these defensive animals with our silence.
A. According to the Pet-Abuse.com, there were 1107 reported cases of animal abuse for 2010 and 406 cases reported so far for 2011 throughout the United States not including those that were never got reported.
1. Specifically, solely in the State of New York, there were 81 reported cases for 2010 and 70 cases for 2011 from January to May, which is just only five months, of beating, mutilating, torturing, neglecting, hoarding, and more.
2. Every day in the United States, these poor in defensive animals are beaten to death and the majority of their abusers do not receive a severe punishment or do not receive any punishment at all.
B. In addition, the New York Times of October 5, 2009, cites evidence that the United States Court of Appeals has even declined to create another exception for prohibiting the depictions of animal cruelty under the First Amendment, which has already applied an exception for obscenity and child pornography.
1. In this country, we as human beings do not care or stand up to fight for animal rights as much because they are not physically or mentally related to us.
a. We do not realize that these animals need us and we need them.
b. We do not see that they have legal rights of their own, but unfortunately, they are not effectively executed.
2. According to the Animal Legal Defense Fund, they were the first non-profit law organization to drafted an Abuser Registry Model Law for animals in this country just recently in 2001.
a. There was no protection for animals before 2001.
b. No one fought for their safety and legal rights.
(Connective: Let's see the effect of our silence in not stopping the animal abusers.)
II. Our silence causes a negative impact not only to the animals, but also in our society.
A. Not doing anything to stop animal abuse enhances the desire of violence in our society.
1. Most animal abusers find some sort of fulfillment or power in torturing a victim that they know can't fight back.
2. In defensive animals suffer unnecessary maltreatment and at the long run, these abusers turn to attack society as well.
B. According to the Pet-Abuse, there was a case, where a child burned a cat alive and was having pleasure committing this horrible act.
C. Animal abusers strike animals outrageously and are not severely punished for their acts.
1. The maximum punishment animal abusers receive in this country is at least one year in prison, which is very little time to rehabilitate an animal abuser and chances are that he or she will keep doing these horrendous acts against the poor in defensive creatures.
2. Some animal abusers do not even get punished or fined at all.
3. We need to start doing something that would make them feel at least the sensation of embarrassment.
(Connective: So, let's see how we can start making a difference into preventing animal cruelty.)
III. To make a difference in our society, we need to start at least by signing the petition of exposing animal abusers in our State of New York.
A. In order to grow as a nation, we must fight for these abused animals' rights and severely punish heartless owners.
B. We expose human delinquents so why not expose animal abusers as well?
C. According to the American Legal Defense Fund, a good felony anticruelty law should protect all animals, apply to first-time offenders, carry large fines and lengthy prison time, and require convicted abusers to get counseling at their own expense.
D. We need to act now before our violence rate in this country rises more than what it already has.
1. We could help against animal cruelty like the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), or more do.
2. We can make a difference by just signing this petition like I did and many others that have already done so.
I. I have told you about the immense of physical abuse the animals suffer in this country and the minimal amount of punishment the animal abusers receive.
A. Do you really think this is justice?
B. Animals are living beings like us and therefore, they have their own legal rights as well.
II. It's not only up to the legal system to ensure that communities across the country are aware and educated about animal cruelty.
A. They are plenty of things everyday citizens can do to diminish the rate of animal abuse cases for the following years.
B. We can start by signing the petition of exposing animal abusers in our State of New York to stop horrendous crimes done to animals.
1. All you have to do is sign the petition at exposeanimalsabusers.org., so our State Senator can take action.
2. Keep your animals and families safe. SIGN THE PETITION NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
Key Phrase Outline:
I. How many animal abuse cases each year?
A. How many animal abuse cases in New York?
B. What is the maximum penalty?
C. Do you know we can make a change?
II. Persuade about sign the petition.
III. Start helping stop animal cruelty by signing the petition.
(Connective: begin with history of Animal abuse cases.)
I. Our silence causes immense damage to animals.
A. Pet-Abuse.com reports 963 cases of animal abuse for 2010
1. In New York, there were 669 reported cases.
2. Animals are being abused
B. New York Times cites important analysis of the exceptions that the Court has come up with except for animal abused.
1. We must care for these animals even if they do not look physically the same.
a. We are like them.
b. Animals have their own legal rights, but we do not realize that.
2. Animal Legal Defense Fund was the first non-profit law organization to help against animal abuse.
a. Before 2001, no protection existed for animals.
b. No one fought for them.
(Connective: The effects of our silence.)
II. Our silence affects animals as well as human beings.
A. Enhances desire to violence.
1. Abuser discover desire and fulfillment
2. Suffer unnecessary maltreatment
B. Pet-Abuse provides a case of a child torturing a cat alive.
C. Animal abusers not punished.
1. Maximum punishment is a year.
2. Others are let go free.
3. We need to start doing something at least.
(Connective: Start making a difference.)
III. Make a difference; start signing the petition.
A. Must grow as a nation
B. Just like we expose human criminals, we can also expose animal abusers.
C. American Legal Defense Fund suggests that an anticruelty law should apply to protect animals.
D. Act now.
1. We can act like any organization that is against animal abuse.
2. We can make a difference now.
I. Immense physical abuse the animals suffer vs. minimal amount of punishment for abusers.
A. Is this justice?
B. Living beings like us with their own legal rights.
II. Not only up to the legal system.
A. Things everyday citizens can do.
B. Start petition exposing animal abusers in our State of New York.
1. Sign the petition at exposeanimalsabusers.org - State Senator can take action.
2. Keep your animals and families safe.
3. SIGN THE PETITION NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
The effects of anxiety is not a persuasive speech topic. A persuasive speech doesn't just summarize information on a topic but argues in favor of people taking action or changing their beliefs about a certain idea or policy which is contested. The key to a successful persuasive speech is choosing an area relevant to the lives of your audience and offering arguments in favor of taking specific actions. Thus your main task in completing the assignment will be to find an arguable thesis within your general topic area.
One area of controversy has to do ...
This response focuses on the difference between a subject area and a persuasive thesis.