(See attachment for full description).
1. a) What variable factors affect the size of the centripetal acceleration for a body moving in a curved path?
b) What additional variable factor affects the centripetal force causing the acceleration?
c) Write down the two formulas for centripetal (or centrifugal) force which you might use for finding this force for a cornering vehicle on a piece of rotating machinery.
2. A small truck of mass 5 tonnes travels round a curve in a horizontal road at 72 km/h. If the radius of the curve is 50m calculate the centrifugal force acting. Assuming the coefficient of friction between the tyres and the road is 0.6 will the truck skid sideways at this speed?
If the truck is loaded with a high load so that the combined center of gravity is 1.2m above the road surface and if its track is 1.8m, at what speed will it tip over when negotiating the same bend and assuming it does not skid sideways first.
3. A civil engineer is designing a road. At what angle should he bank the road surface in a curve of radius 70m so that there is no tendency for a vehicle traveling at 90 km/h to slip sideways, either up or down the banking.
4. A centrifugal watch has a construction as shown in the attachment. If each of three bob-weights has a mass of 0.1kg and the spring has stiffness of 6000N/m, at what speed, in rev/min, will it engage?
5. If the same clutch rotates at 1500 rev/min and the coefficient of friction between the bob weights and the clutch drum is 0.7. Find the maximum torque and power which the clutch transmits.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com July 19, 2018, 5:37 pm ad1c9bdddf
The solution provides explanations and calculations for four questions about centripetal and centrifugal forces for cars.