The following subtopics are addressed:
1. Discuss the development of parenting skills
2. Discuss parental values and attitudes that accompany stages in the development of the child
3. Analyze methods of effective guidance
4. Discuss the role of discipline; compare and contrast discipline with punishment
5. Discuss constructive and destructive elements in parenting styles; identify at least three categories of parenting styles; include an overview of the parenting behaviors associated with each style and the results obtained from each
6. Discuss the challenges to responsible and effective parenting presented by contemporary society
This link discusses three different types of parenting.
Also, Annette Lareau speaks directly to how parenting syle leads to child inequality. She discusses concerted cultivation and natural growth. Concerted cultivation is where middle-upper class parents provide scheduled activities for their children, allow their children to question their parenting, and there is a lot of joint decision making throughout the child's growth. In natural growth, these are mainly lower class to poor children where activities are usually unscheduled and they may simply just play outside for an activity. Additionally, the parent is an authoritarian who may even use harsh discipline, such as spanking or hitting. ...
Parenting types and topics are included.