1. Why are there still poor people in America half a century after the implementation of a system of social welfare programs that were designed to end poverty?
2. How much faith do you have that social security and Medicare will be there when it's your turn to collect?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com March 5, 2021, 12:14 am ad1c9bdddf
Discussion 1 can be analyzed by expanding on the articles of Gerri (2011) and Aaron and Perri (2011). Both authors answers the question of "Why are there still poor people in America half a century after the implementation of a system of social welfare programs that were designed to end poverty?"
An interesting article by Gerri (2011) enumerated ways why poor families in America are poor. Some of these are:
1. The Poor Stay Poor (Without Some Sort of Intervention)
2. No Jobs for the Middle Class
3. Not Supporting Higher Education
4. The Poor and Uneducated Tend to Make Bad Decisions
5. Lack of Reproductive Care
6. It's Exceedingly Difficult to Get Decent Credit
7. Poor Public Infrastructure
8. A Lack of Affordable Healthcare
9. The Informal Economy
10. It's a Race Thing
Aaron and Perri (2011) confirmed some of these issues by presenting the following data:
- Nearly one in six Americans lived ...
The solution addresses the nagging question of why the poor people of America still poor today.