Explain the following:
- The Green House Effect
The Greenhouse Effect:
As energy, in the from of sunlight, passes through our atmosphere it can get refracted, scattered, and absorbed. Some of that shortwave energy gets absorbed by the earth's surface and then gets re-emitted, trying to escape the earth's atmosphere. However, greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, methane, and sulphur oxides, are present in the atmosphere. These gases have the ability to absorb some of that energy and in some cases refract it back to the earth. Thus, the more greenhouse gases present in the atmosphere, the more energy get reflected back to earth. This energy that is reflected back then greatly warms the earth. In fact, without the current amount of greenhouse gases we have present in the atmosphere, our earth would be 30 degrees Celsius cooler than its current temperature.
Hurricanes are violent tropical storms. The tropics are characterized as ...
The expert examines earth science for the Green House Effect and Hurricanes.
Earth Science - Multiple Choice
1. The apparent daily path of the Sun changes with the seasons because: *
Earth's axis is tilted.
Earth's distance from the Sun changes.
The Sun revolves.
The Sun rotates.
2. Energy is transferred from the Sun to Earth mainly by: *
3. Which of the following is the chemical formula for calcite?: *
4. The name of a rapid rise of coastal water that accompanies the arrival of a cyclone is called: *
5. What percentage of the earth's water is fresh water?: *
6. Which layer of the atmosphere contains the ozone layer?: *
7. The fossil archaeopteryx is the earliest known example of: *
8. What is the name given to a region where one plate of the earth's crust is sliding under another?: *
9. Which of the following is true of an earthquake's epicenter and focus?: *
They are the same.
The focus is above the epicenter.
The epicenter is at the Earth's surface.
The focus is at the Earth's inner core.
10. Where does most of the energy comes from that fuels ocean life?: *
11. Compared to dull and rough rock surfaces, shiny and smooth rock surfaces are most likely to cause sunlight to be: *
12. The true shape of the Earth is best described as a(n): *
Slightly oblate sphere
Highly eccentric ellipse
13. Which is not a glacial deposit?: *
14. Of the following, the color blue on a topographic map indicates what surface feature?: *
15. What name is given to the science which studies the atmosphere?: *