Please provide a detailed expkanation of the following concepts
o An explanation of data warehouse concepts
o The benefits of data mining
o The hazards of data mining
o Recommendations on managing benefits and minimizing hazards
Data warehouse concepts
A data warehouse is a storage medium designed with very specific characteristics and relevant application of interest such that the data contained in the database is subject-oriented; this means data contained is related to a certain subject area for instance a data warehouse containing data pertaining to lung cancer patients only. The main reason for an explicit aspect is to make it a basis for decision-making and decision-supporting activities. A data warehouse has significant features to support the way it is structured:
- The information is integrated which allows multiple dynamics views and possibilities of processing it. It provides analytics for trending, patterning, researching, marketing, and decision-making.
- The data or information contained in a data warehouse is usually only accessed for reading purposes; therefore information doesn't change much and remains consistent due to the fact that it is not processed like in a transactional database.
- Data is collected and fed into a data warehouse from several sources that relate to the subject of interest
- Historical information is particularly safeguarded and kept intact in a data warehouse as it provides rich background information especially in a health care system.
- The data warehouse development cycle is unlike the software development life cycle
- Other characteristics include a lax on performance, availability, and non-redundancy. It is a flexible store where data sets are accessed as snapshots or summaries based on a subject.
- Main tools that enable access to data warehouses include reporting tools such as Business Objects, query languages such as SQL, OLAP tools, and ...
Data warehouse concepts, standards of data mining, recommendations on managing benefits and minimizing hazards.