1. What does the term aliasing mean?
a. Having two names for the same memory cell
b. Having two referencing methods for the same memory cell
c. Both a and b.
d. Neither a nor b.
2. The most rigorous means of describing the meaning of a program is
called _________ semantics.
3. Lexical analysis is separated from syntax analysis because:
a. lexical analysis is less complex.
b. optimizing the lexical analyzer provides more benefits than
optimizing the syntax analyzer.
c. lexical analysis has to perform input/output operations and,
therefore, is platform dependent.
d. all of the above.
4. The output of _____ compilers must be linked to operating system
programs, especially __________ routines.
a. all; input/output
b. all; device drivers
c. some; input/output
d. some; device drivers
6. The following list contains steps that may/may not be part of the
process of compilation. Place the steps in the correct order that are
part of the compilation process, omitting those that are not part of
the compilation process.
i. lexical analysis
iv. semantic analysis
vi. code generation
vii. syntax analysis
a. i, ii, iii, iv, v
b. iv, i, vii, v, ii
c. i, vii, vi, iv, v, ii
d. vii, i, iv, v, vi, iii
e. i, vii, iv, v, vi
7. The data structure built by a compiler that represents the
hierarchical syntactic structure of a given program is called a(n)
8. How is Scheme opposite to Common Lisp?
a. Scheme is large and complex; Common Lisp is small.
b. Common Lisp is not an ANSI standard; Scheme is.
c. Scheme is exclusively statically scoped; Common Lisp supports
d. Common Lisp is interpreted; Scheme is compiled.
9. The primary progenitor of COBOL was the programming language
b. Short Code.
11. Plankalkül included the following features except:
a. (recursive) record structures.
b. ones-complement notation floating point type.
c. iterative statement.
12. For a large production application, a __________ language is most
likely to be used:
14. What innovation introduced in ALGOL68 is often credited to Pascal?
a. user-defined data types
b. block statement
c. select statement
16. If the left-hand side (LHS) appears in the right-hand side (RHS) of a
rule, it is a(n):
17. A hierarchical structure that describes the syntactic structure of
sentences in a language is called a(n):
a. descendant chart.
b. family tree.
c. parse tree.
d. ancestor list.
e. none of the above.
18. An alternate term for lexical analyzer is:
a. pattern matcher.
c. pushdown automaton.
d. all of the above.
19. A concept of ________ means that a small number of primitive
constructs can be combined in a small number of ways to build the
control and data structures of the language.
20. The task of a bottom-up parser is to find the handle of any given
right sentential form that can be generated by its associated
21. A logical rule that is assumed to be true is termed a(n):
22. Using EBNF, the C selection statement is depicted as:
<selection> 􀃆 if (<expression>) <statement> [else <statement>];
Without brackets, how many BNF rules would be required to depict
the C selection statement?
d. More than 3
23. With a von Neumann architecture, assignment is based on:
a. pipelining operations.
b. piping operations.
c. iterative operations.
d. functional operations.
24. The most common programming languages, dating back to the
1940s are called:
25. Consider the rule: A 􀃆 A + B. Using a LL parser, this rule is
impossible to handle.
Solution provides answers to some programming language concepts through multiple choice questions.
1. Cross (2007) discusses the advantages for a software company to release beta versions instead of final versions of products. What is Cross's reasoning? Do you agree with it? Explain why some companies may avoid beta releases from software companies.
2. Read the "Q&A with Bjarne Stroustrup..." article (2007) and pick one of Stroustrup's comments about programming languages or programming practices. Explain his point of view and the significance of the issue from a software development perspective. Support your answer with a real-world example.
In order for me to complete my paper I need some answers to these questions at t least 200 words for each questions if possible.
Thanks and look for your superior response.View Full Posting Details