1. What unusual aspect of water is responsible for it unique characteristics as both a liquid and as a solid? Give examples of how this property of water would affect food systems during processing.
2. The value of ∆G tells use what about chemical reactions? Give three situations and examples.
4. Many of the deteriorative reactions occurring food follow zero or first order kinetics. How are these different? If you increased the reaction temperature from 40° to 50°C, how would the rate of formation or product (or loss of reactant) differ for these two systems?
6. What non-covalent bonds are important in foods? How are the interactions caused?
7. Which type of bonding interaction is arguably the most important in a food processing? Give your rationale.
8. Describe three types of soft solids and how they function in a food system.
9. How can a food processor disrupt the interaction between water and a food polymer? What type of forces are involved and how do these different forces individually work?
10. What is viscosity? What characteristics of a hydrocolloid are most important for determining viscosity?
11. Do more flexible hydrocolloids produce greater viscosity than rigid hydrocolloids? Why? What causes hydrocolloids to be more rigid?
12. Why are dispersions important in food systems? Describe three physical properties of a dispersion and tell how you could modify those properties to change the functionality of a food.
13. How can a food processor take advantage of stress responses of a microbe to make food safer?
Provide a specific example.
14. How do processing methods, coupled together, act synergistically? Can you think of a situation in which quality or safety could be negatively impacted by combining a series of non-lethal methods together?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 9:01 pm ad1c9bdddf
The solution examines chemical reactions and food chemistry.
Comparing and contrasting the processes of photosynthesis to aerobic cellular respiration
I must complete the chart below and I am having a very hard time figuring out the solutions for both photosynthesis and cellular respiration. I need help understanding the processes of photosynthesis and respiration so I can figure this out. I do not need you to fill in the chart for me but please explain the two processes so I can figure out what the answers are myself.
Photosynthesis Aerobic Cellular Respiration
Full balanced equation
Is this reaction endergonic
or exergonic? State which
one it is.
Energy source used
Cell organelles involved in
Role of ATP in the reactionView Full Posting Details