Error Analysis; Correcting Entries
A partial trial balance of Julie Hartsack Corporation is as follows on December 31, 2008:
Supplies on hand $ 2,700
Accrued salaries and wages $ 1,500
Interest receivable on investments 5,100
Prepaid insurance 90,000
Unearned rent 0
Accrued interest payable 15,000
Additional adjusting data:
1. A physical count of supplies on hand on December 31, 2008, totalled $1,100.
2. Through oversight, the Accrued Salaries and Wages account was not changed during 2008. Accrued salaries and wages on December 31, 2008, amounted to $4,400.
3. The Interest Receivable on Investments account was also left unchanged during 2008. Accrued interest on investments amounts to $4,350 on December 31, 2008.
4. The unexpired portions of the insurance policies totaled $65,000 as of December 31, 2008.
5. $28,000 was received on January 1, 2008 for the rent of a building for both 2008 and 2009. The entire amount was credited to rental income.
6. Depreciation for the year was erroneously recorded as $5,000 rather than the correct figure of $50,000.
7. A further review of depreciation calculations of prior years revealed that depreciation of $7,200 was not recorded. It was decided that this oversight should be corrected by a prior period adjustment.
(a) Assuming that the books have not been closed, what are the adjusting entries necessary at December 31, 2008? (Ignore income tax considerations)
(b) Assuming that the books have been closed, what are the adjusting entries necessary at December 31, 2008? (Ignore income tax considerations)
(a) 1. Supplies Expense ($2,700 - $1,100) 1,600
Supplies on Hand 1,600
2. Salary and Wages Expense 2,900
($4,400 - $1,500)
Accrued Salaries and Wages 2,900
3. Interest Income ($5,100 - $4,350) 750
Interest Receivable on Investments ...
This response calculates the adjusting entries necessary to set the books in order.
Error Analysis, Correcting Entries for Julie Hartsack Corporation for 2008.
This problem tests the ability to make proper adjusting entries which may effect a prior year or the current year.
A partial trial balance is provided and then there are additional adjusting information given. The instructions are to determine what adjusting entries need to be made.
E22-19 is attached in Xcl.View Full Posting Details