The CEO asked you to have lunch with him and explain exactly how you, in your role, could help the firm achieve a competitive advantage through improved supply chain management. He asked you to discuss the following specific points with him:
• What supply chain management refers to and how it might differ between service type businesses and product type businesses, and between retail and manufacturing type businesses.
• How you would assess whether a firm has an effective versus ineffective supply chain?
Give and explain one example of a firm with an effective supply chain and one with an ineffective supply chain.
Hope this helps- good luck-
Supply chain management is the process of getting product from the manufacturer through the distribution channel to the end consumer in the most efficient manner possible. This includes the processes of raw material sourcing, manufacturing, inventory, ordering, shipping, and delivery. Ultimately, it means having the right product in stock at the right time throughout the supply chain while minimizing overstock and out of stocks.
Supply chain management differs between a service type business and product type business in that with a service, one must supply the service on demand, without the benefit of having inventory on hand to anticipate or satisfy needs. Service type businesses work on manipulating ...
This solution defines supply chain management and how it might differ between service type businesses and product type businesses, and between retail and manufacturing type businesses. It also discusses how to assess whether a firm has an effective versus ineffective supply chain. It gives an example of a firm with an effective supply chain and one with an ineffective supply chain. APA formatted references are included.
Strategic Supply Chain Management for US Dept of Defense
See attached case file.
Review "The U.S. Department of Defense Profile: Making the Tail Smaller and the Tooth Stronger" on pages 169-184 (Refer to this link http://lvk.cs.msu.su/~antiw/McGraw-Hill.Strategic.Supply.Chain.Management.The.Five.Disciplines.For.Top.Performance.ISBN0071432175.pdf). Respond to the following questions:
1. What happens when push comes to pull?
2. Describe how the U.S. DoD implemented technology to support their collaborative relationships. Did they follow the best practices described in your textbook? Why or why not?
3. How were IT principles applied at the Defense Logistics Agency? How did the IT principles help improve supply chain performance?
4. How could virtue ethics, as discussed in the Drake and Schlachter article (See attached file), be applied to the collaborative relationships the DoD engages in?
Estevez discusses the importance of performance-based agreements in the case study. With that in mind, respond to the following questions:
5. What types of preparation skills and strategies would be essential to support positive negotiation outcomes?
6. Would they be similar to skills and strategies used in ongoing collaboration with partners? You may want to do a quick search to find supporting material for this portion of the questions.