**Please see attachment for case study.
Strategic Alternatives and Recommended Strategy:
A. Strategic Alternatives
1. Can the current or revised objectives be met by the simple, more careful implementing of those strategies presently in use (for example, fine-tuning the strategies)?
2. What are the major feasible alternative strategies available to this corporation? What are the pros and cons of each? Can corporate scenarios be developed and agreed upon? (Alternatives must fit societal environment, industry, and company for next 3-5 years.)
a) Consider cost leadership and differentiation as business strategies.
b) Consider stability, growth, and retrenchment as corporate strategies.
c) Consider any functional strategic alternatives that might be needed for reinforcement of an important corporate or business strategic alternative.
B. Recommended Strategy
1 . Specify which of the strategic alternatives you are recommending for the corporate, business, and functional levels of the corporation. Do you recommend different business or functional strategies for different units of the corporation?
2. Justify your recommendation in terms of its ability to resolve both long- and short-term problems and effectively deal with the strategic factors.
3. What policies should be developed or revised to guide effective implementation?
4. What is the impact of recommended strategy on the company's core and distinctive competencies?
CAN CURRENT STRATEGIES SERVE THE OBJECTIVES?
No. The current strategies cannot serve the objectives, there is net loss, which the business is incurring, and the loss has reduced in the current year because the sales have fallen! The company further wants to increase its resources on costly advertising and marketing efforts rather than depend on word of mouth. The development of an operating system to compete with products which are having operating systems of their own is likely to be very costly and lead to further financial losses.
MAJOR FEASIBLE ALTENATIVE STRATEGIES AVAILABLE TO THIS CORPORATION
1. To develop an operating system which would be compatible with microsoft's operating system.
2. To further develop the product so that it is technically superior to that of most of the competitors.
3. To reduce the cost of Treo so that it can compete on the basis of price.
4. To depend on alliances so that Treo is purchased as a tie up products with computers or with other communication devices like the upper end cell phones.
5. To reposition Treo so that it is perceived as a desirable add on to computers rather than a communication device.
6. To focus on institutional purchases by marketing Treo directly to large companies and organizations and target it as a device for improving organizational communication.
COST LEADERSHIP VS DIFFERENTIATION
If Treo is to become the most attractively priced product in the market, then this strategy would be an attractive strategy, however, it would face fierce ...
Strategic Alternatives and Recommended StrategyProblem:Research the Microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/msft/default.mspx).
Using your readings, the Library, and the Internet, and any additional resources necessary, you are being asked to compl ...there is moreshow problemResearch the Microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/msft/default.mspx).
Using your readings, the Library, and the Internet, and any additional resources necessary, you are being asked to complete the following sections of a Strategic Audit (See examples starting on page 78 and pages 179-185 following appendix 11.C):
Analysis of Strategic Factors. Since you are aware that your analysis of strategic factors or SFAS (Strategic Factor Analysis Summary) is based on IFAS and EFAS tables, and since we will need to understand your choices, you are required to submit the three tables in Excel format in one separate file from your written Word assignment. No submission of an Excel file or submission of a table in a Word file will cause you to lose half of the points of this assignment. No comments are needed on the IFAS and the EFAS tables, but comments are needed on the SFAS table, which is the foundation for this assignment (You will submit one Excel file that will include three separate sheets, one for the IFAS, one for the EFAS and one for the SFAS). As a reminder, two files are to be submitted: One Excel file (counting for three pages) and one Word file (five to seven pages double-spaced). You will be graded on your knowledge of the software and math in building the MS Excel tables, and on your ability to communicate in writing and present your arguments.
Strategic Alternatives and Recommended Strategy Here you will be graded on your ability to analyze economic, socio-cultural, political-legal, technological, and financial data to justify your available strategies and the one(s) you recommend.
Implementation: Describe the implementation of the strategy(ies) you recommended.
Evaluation and Control How do you evaluate the performance of your implemented strategy(ies)? For a sample outline of a Strategic Audit, review examples starting on page 78 and appendix 11.C.
Please submit your assignment.