I need someone to go in depth about all of these topics related to the History of Project Management:
1. Describe the modern history of project management.
2. Identify major contributors to the discipline, as well as significant events in its history. Thank you!© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 1:25 am ad1c9bdddf
Let's take a closer look.
1. Describe the modern history of project management. Identify major contributors to the discipline, as well as significant events in its history.
Project management is the discipline of planning, organizing and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives. (1) On the other hand, a project is a temporary effort that has a definite beginning and end (most often restricted by date, or by funding or deliverables (2), which is carried out to meet specific goals and objectives (3),-often to create a beneficial change or added value. According to the PMBOK: "A project is a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service, or result" (see http://www.ppoe.oit.va.gov/docs/VA_IT_PM_Guide.pdf).
Project management has a long history with many contributors, and has been practiced since early civilization.
? Prior to 1900, civil engineering projects were generally managed by creative architects and engineers themselves, among those for example Christopher Wren (1632-1723) , Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859) (12)
? Henry Gantt (1861-1919) is considered the father of planning and control techniques, who is well known for his use of the Gantt chart as a project management tool. (9)
? Henri Fayol also was known for his creation of the 5 management functions, which form the basis for the body of knowledge associated with project and program management.(9)
? Both Gantt and Fayol were students of Frederick Winslow Taylor's theories of scientific management--whose work is the forerunner to modern ...
This solution examines the following topics related to the History of Project Management: describes the modern history of project management and identifies major contributors to the discipline, as well as significant events in its history.
Project Management Life Cycle Critique
In approximately 800 words, you are now to aggressively defend the logic underlying at least 2 of the other project managers' strategic plans (pick 2 of your fellow classmates). In doing so, be sure to inform your CEO of the following:
- The general strengths attributable to the project management life cycle theory
- Why the other project managers that you have chosen have done a commendable job from the perspective of the starting, planning, executing, and evaluating a project
- Above all, what you have learned from the other project managers that you have either critiqued and/or praised