A meatpacking house is creating a new variety of hot dog for the low-calorie, low-fat, low-cholesterol market. This new hot dog will be made of beef and pork, plus either chicken, turkey, or both. It will be marketed as a 2-ounce all-meat hot dog, with no fillers. Also, it will have no more than 6 grams of fat, no more than 27 grams of cholesterol, and no more than 100 calories. The cost per pound for beef, pork, chicken, and turkey, plus their calorie, fat, and cholesterol counts, are shown in the following table.
Cost/Pound Calories/Pound Fat (G/lb) Cholesterol (G/lb)
Beef $ 0.76 640 32.5 210
Pork $ 0.82 1055 54 205
Chicken $ 0.64 780 25.6 220
Turkey $ 0.58 528 6.4 172
The packer would like each 2-ounce hot dog to be at least 25% beef and at least 25% pork.
Solve the given problem scenario for the meatpacking house by recommending the most economical combination of four meats to make this hot dog. Formulate and set up the problem using the most appropriate technique in Excel Solver.
I am attaching my response to this posting. I have provided all the required ...
A meat packing company is introducing an all meat hot dog. It wants to decide mix of the hot dog basis cost, calories, cholesterol, fat etc. The problem has been addressed using linear programming technique and solved using Excel Solver.
Please help with the following pre-lab questions regarding protein expression in my Molecular Biology Lab
Underlying molecular principles:
Explain the genetic components of the lac operon regulating the IPTG-inducible expression of T7 RNA polymerase in the TrcHisB/T7 and DH5 system
- Inoculate and grow a transformant DH5 cell line
- Assess the cell growth phase by absorbance at 600nm
- Induce protein expression by adding IPTG
- Harvest cells from a liquid culture
- Prepare one buffer solution to be used in a future laboratory class
I need help on the following two questions:
1. Perform a quick review of literature on recombinant protein expression in E. coli and indicate the protein yield reported in two research articles of your choice. Make sure you specify the units for the protein yield. For each article describe the nature of the protein that was overexpressed (membrane protein, cytosolic protein, ...). Estimate how much of your recombinant T7 RNA polymerase enzyme you might expect from 50ml of liquid culture by assuming a yield comparable to the ones reported in the two articles you selected. A hard copy of each of your two articles along with your answer should be handed in to your TA when entering the lab
2. 2. The overview figure provided in Experiment A shows the planning for the control aliquots to be assessed by SDS-PAGE in lab 6. Due to space limitation in the shaking incubator, some controls will be done collectively. Explain the information to be obtained from each of the two extra sets of controls to be done collectively:
a. The inoculated 50ml culture containing 200ug/ml ampicillin is to be divided in two fractions of 25ml. At time zero of the induction, the first 25ml fraction is to be induced with 1mM IPTG whereas only water is to be added to the second 25ml fraction. A 1ml aliquot is to be withdrawn from each of the two fractions at both time zero and after a 1.5 hr incubation. ( /2.5 MARKS)
b. A liquid culture of non transformed DH5 cells will be incubated without ampicillin, and a 1ml aliquot is to be collected at time zero and the very end of the induction treatment with IPTG.
Thanks again.View Full Posting Details