1. Discuss the role of information systems in achieving excellence in healthcare service.
2. In doing so, consider the advantages and disadvantages of advanced information systems for the types of healthcare organizations listed below and list two advantages and disadvantages for each of them.
3. Please sure to add citation information.
a. Large urban community hospitals
b. Small rural hospitals
c. Free clinics based in poor urban communities.
Generally, advanced information systems have three main advantages.
1. The main goal of expanding information processing methodology (IPM) and information and communication technology (ICT) should be to further improve quality of care, while maintaining reasonable costs;
2. With the support of modern IPM and ICT the boundaries between inpatient and outpatient care will fade away enabling a more efficient, patient-centered health care;
3. Cooperation between health-care professionals will increase; there will be different ways of communication between them and with the patient, including modern ICT and the Internet;
The advanced information systems have two main disadvantages:
4. Society must be concerned with achieving equal opportunities in being informed about and in using new ICT;
5. Misuse of data will remain a serious problem and can become an obstacle to progress. (http://www.informatics-review.com/future.html).
I. Large urban community hospitals
These general ideas ABOVE, apply differentially across different types of health facilities. For example in the large urban community hospitals the above advantages and disadvantages remain fairly intact. Therefore, the advanced information systems provides efficient patient-centered recording which often leads to the use of medical data for cooperative care across providers, the knowledge management technology may provide effective methods and tools in speeding up the diffusion of innovative medical procedures, for example, which leads to the main goal of the advanced information systems, that of providing excellence in client care (http://www.informatics-review.com/future.html). In addition, the comprehensive use of patient data increases research and ...
By responding to the questions, this solution discusses the role of information systems in achieving excellence in healthcare service. In doing so, it considers the advantages and disadvantages of advanced information systems for the different types of healthcare organizations.