What kinds of occupational complaints do service workers have? Would unionization may be able to help resolve some of those complaints?
Is there any reason why a "new collar" worker would not want the same benefits and clout that "blue collar" workers were able to get by unionizing? What might be some of the reasons why a "new collar" worker would be hesitant to join a union?
What do you feel are the future prospects of unions in the service industry? Why?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com June 3, 2020, 7:43 pm ad1c9bdddf
(1) Some of the complaints are:
- safety protection (depending on the job)
- unreasonable production demands
- unaffordable health insurance (some employers don't even provide any)
- no retirement plan
- low wages
(2) Unionization could help in the following areas:
- unreasonable production demand (by negotiating with employers - however it's not a guarantee that everybody would follow it in the end)
- low wages
As for safety protection, there is Occupational Safety & Health ...
This solution provides a brief, clear explanation of the pros and cons and reasons behind expanding unionization.