1. A U.S. company sells goods to a Canadian company for 8 million Canadian dollars, purchases supplies from Canadian companies for 7 million Canadian dollars, and incurs interest expense of 4 million Canadian dollars on Canadian loans. The exchange rate is C$/US$1.014. (1) Calculate the US$ value of the company's cash flows; (2) Would the US$ value of the cash flows increase or decrease with an exchange rate of C$/US$.98 and how much? Show how you derive your answers.
2. A U.S. company expects to receive 1 million British pounds in 1 year. The U.S. deposit rate for 1 year is 4% and the borrowing rate for 1 year is 9%. The British deposit rate for 1 year is 3% and the borrowing rate for 1 year is 8%. The British pound spot rate is $1.61 and the 1-year forward rate is $1.62. Calculate the value of these exports in 1 year in U.S. dollars if the company enters into a money market hedge. Show how you derive your answer. "
3. MLC Audio is a U.S.-based MNC that has subsidiaries in three European countries. The subsidiaries frequently remit their earnings back to the parent company. This year, the Portuguese subsidiary generated a net outflow of €2,000,000, the Spanish subsidiary generated a net inflow of €2,500,000, and the Italian subsidiary generated a net inflow of €500,000. Calculate the net inflow or outflow as measured in U.S. dollars this year. The exchange rate for the euro is $1.31. Show how you derive your answer.
4. In Period 1, the predicted value of the Mexican peso was $0.13 and the realized value was $0.14. In period 2 the predicted value was $0.14 and the realized value was $0.12. In period 3, the predicted value was $0.13 and the realized value was $0.15. Calculate the mean absolute forecast error as a percentage of the realized value. Show how you derive your answer.
5. The U.S. one-year interest rate is 5% and its expected annual inflation rate is 3%. The 1-year Chinese interest rate is 10% and its expected annual inflation rate is 8%. You plan to invest $100,000 in the Chinese market for one year and you believe that PPP holds. The spot exchange rate of a Chinese RMB is $0.159. Calculate the percentage yield on your investment? Show how you derive your answer.
6. The current spot rate of the Mexican peso is $0.13 and the 180-day forward rate is $0.14. The180-day deposit rate is 1% in the U.S. and 4% in Mexico. An investor plans to use covered interest arbitrage for a 180-day investment of $1 million. (1) Calculate how many U.S. dollars you will have after 180 days; and (2) the amount of the gain or loss. Show how you derive your answers
7. The bid rate of an Australian dollar is $1.055 and the ask rate is $1.065 at Bank 1. The bid rate of the Australian dollar is $1.04 and the ask rate is $1.05 at Bank Y. Calculate your gain if you use $1,000,000 and execute locational arbitrage. Show how you derive your answer.
8. The spot rate of the British pound is $1.61. The premium on a British pound call option is $.02 and the exercise price is $1.65. The option will be exercised on the expiration date, if at all. The spot rate on the expiration date is $1.66. (1) Calculate the profit as a percent of the premium paid. Show how you derive your answer; and (2) Will the option be exercised?
9. One ADR of a German company sells for $55.50 and the ADR is convertible into 2 shares of stock. The spot rate of the euro is $1.31. Calculate the share price of the firm in euros. Show how you derive your answer.
10. At the end of the year, a U.S. company has expected cash flows of ¥1,000,000 from Japanese operations, CHF200,000 from Swiss operations, and €350,000 euros from German operations. At the end of the year, the yen value is expected to be. $.011; the Swiss franc value is expected to be $1.08, and the euro value is expected to be $1.31. Calculate expected dollar cash flows for the company by currency and total. Show how you derive your answer.
This solution contains tutorials on 10 problems on international finance. Topics include, interest, exchange rates, exports, investment rates, and subsidiaries.