Review of Accounting
Thurston's Department store had the following transactions during 2010 (the company's fiscal year is Jan, 1- Dec. 31).
Jan 1 Brought equipment( copy machine) for $5,000 cash. (useful life= 5 years no salvage value)
Mar 3 Brought merchandise for $40,000 cash
Mar 11 Bought $5,000 merchandise from a supplier on account
Apr 10 Sold Merchandise for $20,000 cash.
The merchandise sold had a cost of $10,000
Jul 20 Paid 3,000 for insurance
Oct 15 Received payment on account from the customer ($12,000 cash)
Oct 20 Paid back $4,000 to the supplier
1. Journalize the transaction
2. Post journal entries to the general ledger
3. Prepare a Trial Balance
4. Assume today is Dec 31, 2011. do an adjustment entry for depreciation. Use the straight line method
5. Prepare a Trial Balance
6. Close the accounts on the ledger.
7. Prepare the balance sheet
8. Prepare the income statement
1 General journal
2 General ledger showing postings of transactions and adjusting ...
A comprehensive solution to the posted problem is provided herewith in a separate Excel file. It covers the general journal, general ledger, income statement and balance sheet, and closing entries and post closing trial balance.