Assume you are the owner-driver of a truck, which transports vegetables overnight from the farmers in Florida to the markets in Atlanta. On the way back you haul whatever goods need transporting in the opposite direction. You have five employees in your office located in Atlanta.
1. Clearly identify all the necessary activities and associated activities you'll have to carry out in order to ensure smooth delivery.
2. What is going to be your competitive advantage? What is the benefit you are trying to provide to your customers.
3. Why are the activities you listed so important to your business?
4. What problems might occur if you do not effectively and efficiently carry out these management functions?
Hello, please note that for as long as you relate the questions with the five management functions, there is no right or wrong answer to these type of questions. Essence is to show understanding and applicability of the functions:
1. Planning- is the ongoing process of developing the business' mission and objectives and determining how they will be accomplished. Planning includes both the broadest view of the organization, e.g., its mission, and the narrowest, e.g., a tactic for accomplishing a specific goal.
2. Organizing- is establishing the internal organizational structure of the organization. The focus is on division, coordination, and control of tasks and the flow of information within the organization. It is in this function that managers distribute authority to job holders.
3. Staffing- and compensating are the specific activities included in the function. In the family business, staffing includes all paid and unpaid positions held by family members including the owner/operators.
4. Directing- is influencing people's behavior through motivation, ...
The expert applies management functions for transportation.