1. How do you (personally) try to influence without authority?
2. Identify a situation where you observed someone who was able to influence without authority in the workplace.
1. I personally try to influence using effective leadership. Effective leadership skills are a character trait all individuals managing teams and organizations seek to develop. Leadership is a skill that is learned and most often starts with the process of changing one's self before influencing and motivating others. Most often, those in positions of leadership and authority do not look to themselves to change, rather they expect all others in the organization to change instead (Quinn, 2010). This form of leadership typically leads to producing unwanted results and behaviors (Quinn, 2010). To produce a successful and productive organization, leaders and managers need to be effective in understanding the culture of their organization, the behavior of their employees, and what behaviors need to change.
Research suggests that for managers and leaders to incorporate specific behaviors into the organization, a set of critical competencies can help to characterize effective leadership (Cameron & Quinn, 2011). These competencies fall into twelve categories and are as follows:
• Managing teams- enabling a unified and smooth functioning, high-performing team
• Managing interpersonal relationship- encouraging effective relationship among teams, including supportive feedback and conflict resolution
• Managing the development of others- helping team members improve their performance, achieve competency skills, and provide professional development opportunities
• Managing innovation- encouraging teams to be creative and generate new ideas
• Managing the future- revealing the goals and vision of the future through clear communication
• Managing continuous improvements- developing continuous areas of improvement, flexibility, and ...
Influencing individuals within an organization without being authoritative is most definitely a skill. Very few have been able to accomplish influence without asserting authority. Based on research, there are some ways to influence change using effective leadership styles.
Influence processes and types/factors
Can you start me off with about 6 pages and I can finish it?
You have been encouraged by a colleague to write a brief article about "CEOs and presidents" for a management journal. You have decided to compare the leadership styles of three leaders: Andrea Jung, Indra Nooyi, and Brenda Barnes. Using the Library, the Internet, submit a 12-14 page paper. In your article, provide the following:
1. An introduction to the concept of influence processes
2. A summary of the various types of influence processes and the factors that can affect them
3. An analysis of the processes used by the three leaders: Andrea Jung, Indra Nooyi, and Brenda Barnes. Identify the processes that the leaders and top management team (TMT) are using to impact the organization. Use the table below to organize your answers (you can copy the table from this browser window and paste it into your Word document). Please enter into each cell in the table how that leader is using that particular influence method (if applicable).
Influence Method Andrea Jung Indra Nooyi Brenda Barnes
Allocation of resources
Selection and promotion of other leaders
(Table also on attachment)
Recent theoretical developments in leadership paradigms seem more inclined to frame leadership concepts within the context of moral philosophy, interpersonal growth and spiritual values, topics discussed in business leadership models. Some examples include transformational leadership (Burns, 1978; Bass, 1990), Servant-Leadership (Greenleaf Center, 2002), Relational Leadership (Brower, Schoorman, & Hwee, 2000) and spiritual leadership (Mitroff & Denton, 1999), and Transactional Leadership (Nahavandi, 2006).
Conduct a preliminary search of these models, and select one that resonates best with your own leadership style and one that does not resonate to your own leadership style. Using the business article collections and other credible sources, respond to the following questions regarding the model you have selected:
1. Select two and compare and contrast these two models. Discuss how these selected leadership models impact leader follower-relationships and organizational culture.
2. How is your own leadership style similar to the selected leadership model?