1. How do you (personally) try to influence without authority?
2. Identify a situation where you observed someone who was able to influence without authority in the workplace.
1. I personally try to influence using effective leadership. Effective leadership skills are a character trait all individuals managing teams and organizations seek to develop. Leadership is a skill that is learned and most often starts with the process of changing one's self before influencing and motivating others. Most often, those in positions of leadership and authority do not look to themselves to change, rather they expect all others in the organization to change instead (Quinn, 2010). This form of leadership typically leads to producing unwanted results and behaviors (Quinn, 2010). To produce a successful and productive organization, leaders and managers need to be effective in understanding the culture of their organization, the behavior of their employees, and what behaviors need to change.
Research suggests that for managers and leaders to incorporate specific behaviors into the organization, a set of critical competencies can help to characterize effective leadership (Cameron & Quinn, 2011). These competencies fall into twelve categories and are as follows:
• Managing teams- enabling a unified and smooth functioning, high-performing team
• Managing interpersonal relationship- encouraging effective relationship among teams, including supportive feedback and conflict resolution
• Managing the development of others- helping team members improve their performance, achieve competency skills, and provide professional development opportunities
• Managing innovation- encouraging teams to be creative and generate new ideas
• Managing the future- revealing the goals and vision of the future through clear communication
• Managing continuous improvements- developing continuous areas of improvement, flexibility, and ...
Influencing individuals within an organization without being authoritative is most definitely a skill. Very few have been able to accomplish influence without asserting authority. Based on research, there are some ways to influence change using effective leadership styles.