Please see the attachment for the footnotes and referencing which didn't carry over.
Data Mining is the process of finding hidden patterns and relationships in the data. It is a powerful new technology with great potential to help companies focus on the most important information in their data warehouses.
Data mining can answer business questions that traditionally were too time-consuming to resolve. When the user's questions are vague or general in nature, data mining is needed. Such business questions would be like: "What properties characterize the customers that gave us the most business in the past year?" "What's likely to happen to NY unit sales next month? Why?" and "Which clients are most likely to respond to my next promotional mailing, and why?"
Data mining search databases for hidden relationships, finding predictive information that experts may overlook because it might be beyond their expectations. When implemented on high performance client/server or parallel processing computers, data mining tools can analyze massive databases to deliver answers to questions like these above. Data mining tools predict future trends and behaviors, allowing businesses to make knowledge-driven decisions. ...
In a 717 word solution, the subject of data mining is thoroughly explored.
Emerging Technologies: Business, IT Questions
1. List and describe the four basic functions of an information system. List and describe three types of enterprise systems.
2. There are two fundamental requirements for managing business performance: being able to measure and knowing that your indicator is measuring the right thing. Explain each of these requirements and why they are challenging.
3. What is an advantage of virtualization? List and explain one type of virtualization.
4. What are three of the major data functions performed by a DBMS? Briefly explain the functions.
5. Why are internal threats a major challenge for organizations? How can internal threats be minimized?
6. Why do social networks and cloud computing increase IT security risks? How can those risks be reduced?
7. Implementing security programs raises many ethical issues. Identify two of these ethical issues.
8. List and define 4 of the basic types of e-business transactions. Explain
9. Identify and explain the three major types of BI. Explain data mining. List three characteristics or objectives of data mining.
10. What are the four main points of IT strategic plans? Define them.