1. Tom Peters (1984) said that your strategy is your structure - agree or disagree.
2. What are the pros and cons of traditional, virtual, and web-based organizations? Which works when and why?
3. Why are alliances, networks, and web-based structures becoming popular? Is there any logic behind these movements?
4. What other organizational factors impact the relationship between strategy and structure? How do these factors mitigate those relationships?
5. Is there a best and worst structure for a strategy? If so, when? If not, why not?
Running Head: Strategic management
Agreed, a company's strategic options is usually determined and bounded by environmental and industrial conditions surrounding the company. The company develops distinctive unique strategic positions having considered the competitive and industrial analysis of their operating environment. This implies that structure shapes the strategy of a company. From the Structure-Conduct -Performance paradigm of industrial economics, the strategy of a company is often determined by the structural factors in and out of the organization (Kim & Mauborgne, 2009).
Some of the advantages of traditional organizations are; the lines of command are few and employees need not go through middle level management but rather report directly to senior management; Employees in these organizations are also given more responsibilities in decision making. Some of the cons of this type of organization are lack of middle management. A middle management not provides the link between employees and leaders but is also comprises of future company leaders in training. In this organization there are also communications delays between employees and senior management and this gap in communication may lead to a problem. Traditional organizations also experience limited growth because of the rigidity of the organizational structure. This type of organization works well with smaller companies because of the one on one contact that is possible between employees and executives (Moorty, 2011).
Virtual organizations are temporary ...
The strategic management for pros and cons of organizations are examined. Why alliances, networks and web-based structures are becoming popular are determined.