In its 30 years of existence, Hard Rock has grown from a modest London pub to a global power managing 110 cafes, three hotels, casinos, live music venues, a rock museum, and a huge annual Rockfest concert. This puts Hard Rock firmly in the service industry--a sector that employs over 75% of the people in the U.S. Hard Rock moved its world headquarters to Orlando, Florida, in 1988 and has expanded to more than 40 locations throughout the U.S., serving over 100,000 meals each day. Hard Rock chefs are modifying the menu from classic American burgers and chicken wings to include higher-end items such as stuffed veal chops and lobster tails. Just as taste in music changes over time, so does the Hard Rock Cafe, with new menus, layouts memorabilia, services, and strategies.
At Orlando Universal Studios, a traditional tourist destination, Hard Rock Cafe serves over 3,500 meals each day. The cafe employs about 400 people. Most are employed in the restaurant, but some work in the retail shop. Retail is now a standard and increasingly prominent feature in Hard Rock Cafes (since close to 48% of revenue comes from this source). Cafe employees include kitchen and wait staff, hostesses, and bartenders. Hard Rock employees are not only competent in their job skills; they are also passionate about music and have engaging personalities. Cafe staff is scheduled down to 15-minute intervals to meet seasonal and daily demand changes in the tourist environment of Orlando. Surveys are done on a regular basis to evaluate quality of food and service at the cafe. Scores are done on a 1 to 7 scale, and if the score is not a 7, the food or service is a failure.
Hard Rock is adding a new emphasis on live music and is redesigning its restaurants to accommodate the changing tastes. Since Eric Clapton hung his guitar on the wall to mark his favorite bar stool, Hard Rock has become the world's leading collector and exhibitor of rock and roll memorabilia, with changing exhibits at its cafes throughout the world. The collection includes 1,000 of pieces, valued at $40 million. In keeping with the times, Hard Rock also maintains a Web site, www.hardrock.com, which receives over 100,000 hits per week, and a weekly cable television program on VH-1. Hard Rock's brand recognition, at 92%, is one of the highest in the world. Source: Professor Barry Render, Jay Heizer and Beverly Amer.
Please turn in a paper of one to two pages (page counting does not include cover and reference list) discussing the following questions,
1. From your knowledge of restaurants and from the case itself, identify how each of the 10 decisions of operations management (from Powerpoint 1) is applied at Hard Rock Cafe.
2. How would you determine the productivity of the kitchen staff and wait staff at Hard Rock?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com June 4, 2020, 2:59 am ad1c9bdddf
1. From your knowledge of restaurants and from the case itself, identify how each of the 10 decisions of operations management is applied at Hard Rock Cafe.
1. Design of goods and services: Hard Rock cafe's main tangible offering is the food and drink it serves. The company plays close attention to the menu items and continues to innovate and new items to the menu to meet customer needs, preferences and exceed customer expectations. Even in terms of service, the company pays strong attention to the quality of service and the overall ambiance and atmosphere in its restaurants.
2. Quality: The organization undertakes regular surveys at its restaurant to evaluate food and service quality. The company's plays close attention to the quality of processes, systems and product/service offerings to ensure that customer's expectations are exceeded.
3. Process Design: The company pays close attention to the process design to ensure that the entire process, right from receiving the order to the final delivery to the customer's table is done in a smooth and timely manner. The company ensures that even during peak hours, the entire process of handling the customer, right from the time they enter the restaurant to ...
Discusses operations management decisions at Hard Rock Cafe.