1. The breakeven point in dollars can be computed by dividing the contribution margin into the fixed operating costs. T/F
2. The ________ is the extent of an asset's risk. It is found by subtracting the pessimistic outcome from the optimistic outcome
b) Standard deviation
c) Probability distribution
b) risk-adjusted discount rates
c) sensitivity analysis
d) multiple regression analysis
4. If a firm uses an aggressive financing strategy,
a) it increases return and increases risk.
b) it increases return and decreases risk.
c) it decreases return and increases risk.
d) it decreases return and decreases risk.
5. The two major sources of short-term financing are
6. At the operating breakeven point, ________ equals zero.
a) sales revenue
b) fixed operating costs
c) variable operating costs
d) earnings before interest and taxes
7. Xiao Li wishes to accumulate $50,000 by the end of 10 years by making equal annual end-of-year deposits over the next 10 years. If Xiao Li can earn 5 percent on her investments, how much must she deposit at the end of each year?
8. Hayley makes annual end-of-year payments of $6,260.96 on a five-year loan with an 8 percent interest rate. The original principal amount was
9. Hewitt Packing Company has an issue of $1,000 par value bonds with a 14 percent annual coupon interest rate. The issue has ten years remaining to the maturity date. Bonds of similar risk are currently selling to yield a 12 percent rate of return. The current value of each Hewitt bond is ________.
10. Yong Importers, an Asian import company, is evaluating two mutually exclusive projects, A and B. The relevant cash flows for each project are given in the table below. The cost of capital for use in evaluating each of these equally risky projects is 10 percent.
Project A Project B
Initial Investment $350,000 $425,000
Year Cash Inflows (CF)
1 $140,000 $175,000
2 165,000 150,000
3 190,000 125,000
The NPVs of projects A and B are ________.
A) $95,066 and $56,386, respectively.
B) $56,386 and $95,066, respectively.
C) -$56,386 and -$95,066, respectively.
D) none of the above.
The problem set deal with issues in accounting and finance: bond valuation, share valuation, net present value etc.