Choose four of the following pairs of organisms. For each, indicate whether the typical relationship between them is mutualism, commensalisms, or amensalism and then describe the relationship in sufficient detail to justify your answer:
- epiphyte plants and trees
- plants and micorrhizal fungi
- barnacles and whales
- flowering plants and hummingbirds
- ants and acacia trees.
The question contained in the attachment asks for you to identify the kind of relationship between the two organisms and to give justification for that designation. Let's start with a definition of the kinds of relationships that can exist between organisms. To find biological definitions I would suggest online biological dictionaries as well as wikipedia.com.
Mutualism- a type of symbiosis where two or more species living in close proximity derive benefit ( nutrients, protection, or other life functions) from each other. All organism derive benefit. Reference http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Mutualism
Commensalism- a type of ...
This solution is provided in about 340 words and is comprised of two parts. First, this solution discusses three types of symbiotic relationships which species may engage in: mutualism, commensalism and amensalism. Then this solution indicates which symbiosis matches with the examples given in the question.
Study questions: viruses, bacteria, diseases, etc.
41. Describe general characteristics of picornaviruses.
42. Define plaque, lawn of bacteria.
43. Define normal and transient microbiota.
44. Compare commensalism, mutualism, symbiosis, and parasitism, and give an example of each.
45. List Koch's postulates and the exceptions.
46. Categorize diseases according to frequency of occurrence.
47. Identify the principal portals of entry, know which is the preferred.
48. Differentiate sign, symptoms, and syndrome.
49. Describe the primary characteristics of microbial antagonism.
50. Define, and give examples of, zoonosis.