6. Why is multicellularity significant?
7. What's an example of a specialization in body form and what is its benefit?
8. 545 mya there was an explosion of life called the Cambrian Explosion. Name two groups of organisms which appeared during this time period and list one living relative of the group.
9. Are there known living descendants to all of the early organisms present during this explosion?
10. What body plan originated during this time?
11. What are five functions for hard parts on organisms?
1. List at least four highlights of the Paleozoic Era.
Diversity in the Sea
1. Life in the seas diversified during this time. Some organisms became specialized to specific habitats. What are characteristics of organisms found in the following habitats?
2. Describe one organism found in the Paleozoic seas.
3. Why are brachiopods important to science?
4. How are insects and trilobites similar?
5. How are fish related to humans?
6. What is a human characteristic which is seen in tunicates?
7. Have sharks changed very much since 450 mya?
Leaving the water
1. Why do bacteria evolve quickly?
2. Describe how natural selection acted upon the peppered moth in England?
3. What are two theories about why amphibians began to colonize land?
4. What group did amphibians evolve from?
5. What environmental changes needed to occur for plants to grow on Earth?
6. How did this change occur?
7. Describe the characteristics that plants and animals evolved which enabled them to live on land?
Forests and Flight
1. What advantages did the evolution of flight produce for insects?
2. Are insects successful?
3. What two adaptations allowed reptiles to take up life on land?
4. Why are eggs with shells and seeds important?
5. What caused the Permian Extinction around 250 mya?
6. What percent of species went extinct during this time?
Answers and explanations with references for multiple choice questions on the Paleozoic era and multi-cellularity.
Biology - Prokaryotes & Eukaryotes Biodiversity, Evolution, Fossils
Briefly review how prokaryotes and eukaryotes provide different forms of biodiversity and why.
What does each category tell you about evolution; pick one from an early era and one from today or recent times:
Review two species of the seas
Review two species on land and water
Review two species on land
Review two species who move through air.
What do we see when we follow the history and energy flow of life through the patterns of fossils?View Full Posting Details