• Independent-Samples t Test with SPSS
In your research, you may find that you must compare the means of two samples related to one particular variable. For example, you may have population samples from two ethnic groups that you wish to compare against income level. In these cases, you will need to use an independent-samples t test. This Application Assignment gives you an opportunity to try this t test and consider its application to your own research topic.
To prepare for this Application:
• Review Chapter 19 and Appendix F in the course text, Research Methods in the Social Sciences.
• Review the video programs for this week, located in the Learning Resources.
• Review the Web site for StatSoft Electronic Textbook: Power Analysis, located in the Learning Resources.
• Review Lessons 22, 23, and 24 in the course text Using SPSS for Windows and Macintosh: Analyzing and Understanding Data.
• Access the gss04student_corrected dataset in the Course Information area of the classroom to use for this Application
• Craft up to a one page double- spaced write up of the statistical results (include any additional pages needed for any APA tables or graphs and the SPSS syntax and output) in which you do the following:
o State the statistical assumptions for this test.
o Using the data set you have selected, select independent and dependent variables.
o Develop the null and the alternative hypothesis.
o Use the SPSS to calculate an independent-samples t test.
o Report on the p value and the confidence interval.
o Interpret the confidence interval.
o Decide whether to reject or retain the null hypothesis.
o Generate syntax and output files in SPSS. You will need to copy and paste these into your Application document.
o Based on your SPSS analysis, report the results using correct APA format. Your report should include the following:
SPSS syntax and output files
Please see the attachments.
Please note that this is not a hand in ...
The solution provides step by step method for the calculation of testing of hypothesis. Formula for the calculation and Interpretations of the results are also included.