1. indicate whether the factor influence the numerator or denominator of the t statistic and determine whether the effect would be to increase the value of t or decrease the value of t if all other factors rmain constant.
a) increase the variability of the scores
b) increase the number of scores in the sample
c) increase the difference between the sample mean and the population mean
2. What is the relationship between the value for degrees of freedom and the shape of the t distribution? What happens to the critical value of t for a particular alpha level when df increases in value?
4. a sample of n=36 freshmen participated in a training program to prepare for a English Language skills course that all freshman have to take. The mean score for the entire freshman class was μ= 74, M= 79.4 with a standard deviation of s=18.
a) can the college conclude that the students in the new program performed signficantly better thatn the rest of the freshman? Use a one-tailed test with α= .05
b) can the college conclude that the students in the new program ar signifcantly different from the rest of the freshman class? Use a two-tailed tes with α= .05
5. a sample of n=36 adults took the supplement ginkgo biloba for 30 days. μ= 15, the individuals in the sample mean score of M= 16.9 with SS= 1260.
a) are these data sufficient to conclude that the herb has a statistically significant effect using a two-tailed tes with α= .05
b) what decision would be made if the researcher used a one-tailed test with α= .05
6. laboratory rats eat an average of μ= 21 grams of food each day. a random sample of n=100 rats where placed in a maintained humidity room of 90%. The daily consumption for the sample averages M= 18.7, with SS= 2475
a) can the researcher conclude that humidity has a significant effect on eating behavior? use a two-tailed test with α= .05
b)compute the estimated d and r² to measure the size of the treatment effect.
The solution provides step by step method for the calculation of testing of hypothesis, Cohen's d and effect size. The solution also provides information on factor influencing the numerator or denominator of the t statistic. Formula for the calculation and Interpretations of the results are also included. Interactive excel sheet is included. The user can edit the inputs and obtain the complete results for a new set of data.