Not what you're looking for?
Problems must be worked out so that the average first year college student can understand them.
1. If a gambler rolls two dice and gets a sum of 10. he wins $10, and if he gets a sum of three, he wins$20. The cost to play is $5. What is the expectation of this game?
2. A recent study found that the average life expectancy of a person living in Africa is 53 years with a standard deviation of 7.5 years. If a person in Africa is selected at random, what is the probability that the person will die before the age of 65?
3. At a large department store, the average number of years of employment for a cashier is 5.7 with a standard deviation of 1.8 years. If an employee is picked at random, what is the probability that the employee has worked at the store for over 10 years?
4. The average age of a vehicle registered in the United States is 8 years, or 96 months. If a random sample of 36 vehicles is selected, find the probability that the mean of their age is between 98 and 100 months? Assume the standard deviation for the population is 15.
5. What is the z value such that 50% of the total area lies to the right of the curve in a normal distribution?
6. A survey of 250 lobster fishermen found that they catch an average of 32 pounds of lobster per day with a standard deviation of four pounds. If a random sample of 30 lobster fishermen is selected, what is the probability that their average catch is less than 31.5 pounds?
7. The standard deviation of a distribution is 20. If a sample of 225 is selected, what is the standard error of the mean?
Purchase this Solution
In this solution we solve a dice problem and several problems finding probabilities and percentiles from normal probability distributions. All problems show formulas and calculations with explanations.
In this solution we solve a dice problem and several problems ...
Purchase this Solution
Free BrainMass Quizzes
This quiz covers basic terms and definitions of statistics.
Tests knowledge of the three main measures of central tendency, including some simple calculation questions.
This quiz evaluates the students understanding of the measures of central tendency seen in statistics. This quiz is specifically designed to incorporate the measures of central tendency as they relate to psychological research.
Each question is a choice-summary multiple choice question that presents you with a statistical concept and then 4 numbered statements. You must decide which (if any) of the numbered statements is/are true as they relate to the statistical concept.