1. Estimation with the independent-measures t statistic is used to determine how much difference there is between two treatment means or two population means.
2. If you are using the data from a repeated-measures study to estimate the mean difference between two treatments, the width of the confidence interval will depend on the size of the sample mean difference.
3. A researcher conducts a study to determine whether a new drug is effective for treating high blood pressure. The researcher should use a hypothesis test, rather than estimation, to evaluate the data.
4. A sample in treatment I has a mean of M = 12 with SS = 23. A second sample is given treatment II and has M = 16 with SS = 29. If these data are used to estimate the population mean difference between the two treatments, then the point estimate would be 4 points.
5. What value(s) for t would be used for a point estimate of a population mean using a single-sample t statistic?
t = 0
t = ï?±1.00
t = ï?±1.96
cannot answer without additional information
6. In an analysis of variance, SStotal will always equal the sum of SSbetween and SSwithin.
7. A research report presents the results of the ANOVA as follows: F(2, 27) = 5.36, p < .05. Based on this report, you can conclude that the decision from the ANOVA was to reject the null hypothesis.
8. An analysis of variances produces dfbetween = 3 and dfwithin = 24. For this analysis, what is dftotal?
cannot be determined without additional information
9. A research report concludes that there are significant differences among treatments, with F(2,27) = 8.62, p < .01. If the same number of participants was used in all of the treatment conditions, then how many individuals were in each treatment?
cannot determine without additional information
10. The following table shows the results of an analysis of variance comparing two treatment conditions with a sample of n = 11 participants in each treatment. Note that several values are missing in the table. What is the missing value for the F-ratio?
Source SS df MS
Between xx xx 14 F = xx
Within xx xx xx
Total 154 xx
The Correct Answers are provided in the Solution.