1. Refer to the sample data given below:
The mean tar content of a simple random sample of 25 unfiltered king-size cigarettes is 21.1 mg, with a standard deviation of 3.2 mg. The mean tar content of a simple random sample of 25 filtered 100 mm cigarettes is 13.2 mg with a standard deviation of 3.7 mg.
Assume that the two samples are independent simple random samples, selected from normally distributed populations. Do not assume that the population standard deviations are equal, unless your instructor stipulates otherwise.
a. Use a 0.05 significance level to test the claim that unfiltered king-size cigarettes have a mean tar content greater than that of filtered 100 mm cigarettes.
b. What does the result suggest about the effectiveness of cigarette filters?
2. Listed below are systolic blood pressure measurements (mm Hg) taken from the right and left arms of the same woman. Use a 0.05 significance level to test for a difference between the measurements from the two arms. What do you conclude? Assume that the paired sample data are simple random samples and that the differences have a distribution that is approximately normal.
Submission Requirements: Submit the assignment in a Microsoft Word document. Save the Word document as Exercise 9.2_Your initials.doc. The answer to each question should be supported with appropriate rationale or steps.
The solution provides detailed explanation as to how to perform hypothesis test with dependent t test.
Hypothesis Test: Choosing the Appropriate Test
1. When to use a t-test and when to use a z-test for one-sample analysis? Give Example.
2. When to use a t-test and when to use a z-test for two-sample analysis? Give Example.
3 When is an independent t-test used as opposed to dependent t-test? Give Example.
4. When is ANOVA used? Which follow up tests are used under which and under which circumstances when there is a difference? Give Example.
5. When is a factorial ANOVA used? Give Example.
6. When is a chi square test appropriate? Give Example.
7. When does linear regression versus multiple regression apply? Give Example.View Full Posting Details