1. For the following scores,
a) Find the regression equation for predicting Y from X
b) Calculate the predicted Y value for each X
2. For the following scores
a) Compute the Pearson correlation
3. Identifying individuals with a high risk of Alzheimer's disease usually involves a long series of cognitive tests. However, researcher have developed a 7-Minute Scree, which is a quick and easy way to accomplish the same goal. The question is whether the 7-Minute Screen is as effective as the complete series of tests. To address this question, Ijuin et al. (2008) administered both tests to a group of patients and compared the results. The following data represent results similar to those obtained in the study.
Patient 7-Minute Screen Cognitive Series
A 3 11
B 8 19
C 10 22
D 8 20
E 4 14
F 7 13
G 4 9
H 5 20
I 14 25
a) Compute the Pearson correlation to measure the degree of relationship between the two scores.
b) Is the correlation statistically significant? Use a two-tailed test with an alpha=.01
c) What percentage of variance for the cognitive scores is predicted from the 7-Minute Screen scores? (Compute the value of r2 )
The solution provides detailed explanation how to find the correlation coefficient and figure out the regression equation.
1. Descriptive research is the exploration and description of phenomena in real life situations. A research problem was identified as follows: Teenage girls have different perceptions of teenage pregnancy. A high school health education class is being designed by the school nurse. The nurse would like to know what the views of the girls are towards pregnancy. Write a descriptive research question based on this problem.
2. Correlation studies are conducted to examine relationships between two or more variables in one group. The situation involves attitudes of high school girls in a health ed class towards contraception and pregnancy. Write a correlational research question relating to this situation.
3. Quasi-experimental research is used to examine cause-and-effect relationships between selected independent and dependent variables. This situation involves a high school health educ program. There are two groups of students attending two types of health educ classes. Write a research question to determine differences between the two groups on some outcome (dependent variable) that depends on the type of class (independent variable or treatment).View Full Posting Details