1. A researcher studies the average distance that 130 people who are living in U.S. urban areas walk each week: What is the size of the sample? Identify the population.
2. Is the "average" calculated in #1 a descriptive statistic or an inferential statistic if it is used to describe the 130 people studied?
3. Referencing #1, how might you calculate the average distance walked in one week as a(n): (a) ordinal measure? (b) scale measure?
4. A study of the effects of skin tone (light, medium, and dark) on the severity of facial wrinkles in middle age might be of interest to cosmetic surgeons:
(a) what is the independent variable in this study?
(b) what is the dependent variable in this study?
(c) how many levels does the independent variable have?
1. The sample size is 130 people. The population is people who are living in U.S. urban areas that walk each week.
2. The "average" calculated in #1 is a descriptive statistic. This is because it ...