Every generation of psychologist seems to engage in practices that the next generation looks back upon with concern and regret. Many of the former treatments for the mentally ill are viewed as unethical.
I need information to create a PowerPoint Presentation about the following:
1) Reflect back on what do you think about evolution of psychology throughout the history?
2) Comment about a form of treatment used with the mentally ill during a particular decade in the 20th century. Include information about the key historical events that were happening around the time this treatment was being used, as well identifying the popular culture of the time.
3) How might the psychological theories of the time have influenced attitudes fostering discrimination of people with mental illness?
4) Analyze the themes and perspective(s) that underlie the rationale for this treatment.
5) Explain how these above (i.e., historical events, culture, and the underlying rationale for this treatment) related to the popular psychological theory at that time.
6) Conclude this presentation with a question raised about a current treatment that may be parallel to your findings.
I need references when apply.
I need references from credible online content or scholarly sources when apply.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 10:03 am ad1c9bdddf
(A) Reflect back on what do you think about evolution of psychology throughout the history?
(1) Research suggests that society has been shaped in many ways by the evolution of psychology throughout history. For instance, psychology has laid its foundation in early philosophical thought that included studies of logical analysis, rational knowledge, the nature of consciousness and empirical evidence.
(2) Perspectives were drawn on theories of philosophy led to a variety of psychological perspectives emerged within schools of thought such as structuralism (configuration of elements, structure of the mind, and perceptions.
(3) General psychology focused on the study of behaviors and mental processes with the overall goal used to explain how and why humans behave as they do.
(4) In addition to studying human behavior, other sub disciplines were developed to address society's needs. A major source of psychological information has evolved concerning social relations, social roles, stereotypes and social change that can impact psychological health.
Kawachi and Bergman (2001) point the link between social isolation and a lack of psychological well-being due to not having an intrapersonal relationship. Other studies evolved to reveal how low social support affected mental health (e.g., depression).
(5) Myer (2003) notes that in the psychological literature, stressors (defined as events and conditions that cause a change in the individual) have been presented within psychological theories focused on how individuals adapt to new situations or life circumstances (p. 675).
(6) Another major concern addressed with the evolution of society is the structure of industrialized organizations in efforts to promote better ...
This solution discusses the evolution of the history of psychology and its impact on society.
Evolution of Cognitive Psychology
Explain the evolution of cognitive psychology as a discipline.
- Explain the interdisciplinary perspective as it relates to cognitive psychology.
- Describe the emergence of cognitive psychology as a discipline.
- Assess the effects of the decline of behaviorism on the discipline of cognitive psychology.