The behavioral approach and the cognitive approach; it is important to understand the foundation for each of these theories and how they differ from each other. Address the following:
1) Describe the foundational principles of each approach
2) Compare and contrast the two approaches, specifically detailing where they differ from each other.
3) State which of the two approaches you identify with and why.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com March 5, 2021, 1:40 am ad1c9bdddf
(A) Describe the foundational principles of each approach
1. Cognitive Therapy is an approach to psychological problems as developing from faulty thinking.
2. The cognitive approach is focused on changing distorted processes such as: (a) making incorrect inferences, confused thoughts, failing to distinguish between rights and wrong.
3. Research has produced a number of studies related to cognitive therapy that has been successfully used to treat problems such as depression, and drug treatment (e.g., Mor & Haran, 2005).
4. Cognitive therapy is concerned with lifting a person out of confusion. The cognitive approach is focused on identifying and changing distorted thought patterns.
5. The Behavioral approach places emphasis on that which can be observed, while the cognitive approach is focused on changing negative thought patterns.
6. It is a systematic process of modifying or changing behaviors through principles of learning.
Example: the principles of conditioning (e.g. operative conditioning). Based on principles of operant conditioning, Skinner (cited in Dinsmoor, 1992) held that consequences which follow a behavior directly influence the frequency with which the behavior is repeated. The operant response will either increase or decrease the likelihood that the behavior will occur again.
Behavioral approaches have been utilized to provide effective treatment for problems such as: (a) Substance abuse disorders, (b) couple and ...
The foundational principles of each approach are described. The two approaches for detailing where they differ from each other are compared and contrast. This solution compares and contrasts cognitive and behavioral approaches to therapy.