I need assistance with investigating the relationship between neurological structure and processes, stress, and anxiety disorder. I need to discuss:
- Symptoms of the disorder
- Known or suspected genetic bases
- Brain structure and neurotransmitters known or suspected to be involved
- Role of stress or environment factors in bringing about the symptoms
- Known treatments currently being researched
*need references from peer-reviewed journals in APA standard
According to the DSM-IV, there are many different types of anxiety disorders. I am assuming for this assignment you just need help on Generalized Anxiety Disorder, or Anxiety Disorder NOS? Here is the DSM-IV classification for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Includes Overanxious Disorder of Childhood):
A. Excessive anxiety and worry (apprehensive expectation), occurring more days than not for at least 6 months, about a number of events or activities (such as work or school performance).
B. The person finds it difficult to control the worry.
C. the anxiety and worry are associated with three (or more) of the following six symptoms (with at least some symptoms present for more days than not for the past 6 months). Note: Only one item is required in children.
(1) restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge
(2) being easily fatigued
(3) difficulty concentrating or mind going blank
(5) muscle tension
(6) sleep disturbance (difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless unsatisfying sleep)
D. The focus of the anxiety and worry is not confined to features of an Axis I disorder, e.g., the anxiety or worry is not about having a Panic Attack (as in Panic Disorder), being embarrassed in public (as in Social Phobia), being contaminated (as in ...
This is a solution that describes the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for Anxiety Disorder NOS, including stress factors and possible treatment options.