Compare and contrast two of the following five research methods in psychology described in your text or on the internet. These research methods include:
a. Case study, Naturalistic observation, Correlational research, Survey research, and Experimental method.
b. Include in your discussion the research techniques, reliability and validity, generalizability, strengths and weaknesses of your choices.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 10, 2019, 12:24 am ad1c9bdddf
This response is drawn from one source (http://www.class.uidaho.edu/psyc101/ResearchMethods6.pdf), which is referenced at the end of the response. Any direct quotes are enclosed in quotation marks. Points are verbatim. It should be plenty of information to draw up your required 1-2 page response.
1. Case Study
Case study involves an "investigation of one unit", which can be an "Individual, University or Town". Generally, it "is a detailed study of one individual or thing."
- Can develop understanding not obtained from examining experimental findings.
- Usually do when you have no idea about what is going on.
Disadvantages are as follows:
- Can be very inaccurate if done poorly.
- Often get biases from the person doing the study. (challenge to transferability, reliability and validity)
- Can get political pressure to achieve some result.
2. Systematic or Naturalistic Observation
This is "where researchers ...
This solution assists in researching and discussing five research methods: Case study, Naturalistic observation, Correlational research, Survey research, and Experimental method. It also includes the research techniques of reliability and validity, generalizability, as well as the strengths and weaknesses. References are provided.