Not what you're looking for?
1) You are examining the light spectrum from a hot galactic gas. From the frequencies in the spectrum, you conclude that the gas is mostly made of hydrogen. From the relative intensities of each part of the spectrum, you deduce that for every 12 hydrogen atoms in the first excited state, there are 3 in the second excited state. In order to double check your conclusions about this gas's properties, you decide to predict how many hydrogen atoms are in the third excited state, relative to the 1st excited state (which you can then subsequently compare to measured values). Looking up in a table, you find that,
a) the ground state has an energy of -13.6 eV, with a degeneracy of 1
b) the first excited state has an energy of -3.4 eV with a degeneracy of 4
c) the second excited stat has an energy of -1.5 eV with a degeneracy of 9
d) the third excited state has an energy of -0.85 eV with a degeneracy of 16
Purchase this Solution
The light spectrum from a hot galactic gas are determined. The first excited state of energy is provided. The answer is provided with a brief explanation.
The correct answer is (b).
Because, the first excited state (2nd ...
- BEng, Allahabad University, India
- MSc , Pune University, India
- PhD (IP), Pune University, India
- " In question 2, you incorrectly add in the $3.00 dividend that was just paid to determine the value of the stock price using the dividend discount model. In question 4 response, it should have also been recognized that dividend discount models are not useful if any of the parameters used in the model are inaccurate. "
- "feedback: fail to recognize the operating cash flow will not begin until the end of year 3."
- "Answer was correct"
- "Great thanks"
- "Perfect solution..thank you"
Purchase this Solution
Free BrainMass Quizzes
Some short-answer questions involving the basic vocabulary of string, sound, and water waves.
This quiz will test your knowledge about basic Physics.
How well do you understand variables? Test your knowledge of independent (manipulated), dependent (responding), and controlled variables with this 10 question quiz.
This quiz is for any area of science. Test yourself to see what knowledge of nanotechnology you have. This content will also make you familiar with basic concepts of nanotechnology.
Test your knowledge of moon phases and movement.