Why is a piece if iron attracted to either pole of a magnet?
? Discuss the relationship between electricity and magnetism
? Identify a device that utilizes the relationship between electricity and magnetism
? Explain how the device you identified uses electricity and magnetism
? Discuss how improvements in electrical conduction and/or advancements in magnets might impact the device you identified
What differences can you think of between the photon and electron?
The Bohr Theory permits us to visualize the structure of the atom, whereas quantum mechanics is very complex and concerned with such ideas as wave functions and probabilities. What reasons would lead to the replacement of the Bohr Theory by quantum mechanics?
Question 28© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 11:17 pm ad1c9bdddf
Neat, step-by-step answers / explanations are provided for all the questions.
1. The wavelength spectrum of the radiation energy emitted from a system in thermal equilibrium is observes to have a maximum value which decreases with increasing temperature. Outline briefly the significance of this observation for quantum physics.
2. The “stopping potential” in a photoelectric cell depends only on the frequency v of the incident electromagnetic radiation and not on its intensity. Explain how the assumption that each photoelectron is emitted following the absorption of a single quantum of energy hv is consistent with this observation.
3. Write down the de Broglie equations relating the momentum and energy of free particle to, respectively, the wave number k and angular frequency w of the wave-function which describes the particle.
4. Write down the Heisenberg uncertainty Principle as it applies to the position x and momentum p of a particle moving in one dimension.
5. Estimate the minimum range of the momentum of a quark confined inside a proton size 10 ^ -15 m.
6. Explain briefly how the concept of wave-particle duality and the introduction of a wave packet for a particle satisfies the Uncertainty Principle.